About Me

My photo
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
35 yrs.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Colbert on Editing Wikipedia

I have actually seen the Colbert video on Wikipedia which is quite hilarious I might say. I viewed it again and I do not hold the same opinion about Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a good site to use for research and find out information that you would have not known otherwise. Even still, I would always check additional sources to verify that the information is correct. I believe that the editing process of Wikipedia is still left up to any and everyone. I do believe that it does hold some accountability to originators editing a page. I think individuals are notified of changes and they can correct them or leave them. It is still left up to individuals that may not hold an account anymore or care that much to correct the information. I still don't feel comfortable with the information being absolutely true. I really had no idea of what source to edit with incorrect information. I happen to be watching The Voice. A new television show similar to American Idol. One of the guest were R & B singer Monica. I looked up the page for Monica edited the work place of Monica's mother from Delta Air Line to Delta Airport. I checked back a few hours later and the error was corrected back to Delta Air Line. Obviously, someone was notified of the change and corrected the information quickly. I was happy to know that the information was corrected but what if I needed that information during the time the information was incorrect? I'm just not sure about everyone being able to add and edit information. Even myself.

2 comments:

  1. Adrion,
    I agree with you. I do think that Wikipedia is a greaet site for getting some quick information and fast. Whenever I am looking for something online I honestly usually go to Wikipedia first. Just because it usually has the information that I need in a nice organized manner. Now if I was writing an important research paper like you said I would definitely make sure to check out all of my sources. Or I just wouldn't actually even use Wikipedia for that paper if I knew that I would be checking and re-checking all of the information that I wrote and researched. I think like you said as well that maybe if we just had people put information on but not everyone be able to change it that may even work better. And yes when you put something on Wikipedia the main user who created the post first is notified and can either keep the new info or change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrion,

    I can say today that I agree with you too. I understand Wikipedia better today than I did a year ago, I will promote and use it along with educating other users of this website to always check for validity through its resources and searching other sites as well. One year ago, I called “Wikipedia”, “Wickedpedia”; today I call it “Resourcefulpedia”.

    ReplyDelete